Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The forgotten joys of "Turnaround"

One of my favorite soccer drills is "turnaround".

As the name implies, the kids start out dribbling the ball, and then when the whistle blows, they stop the ball and turn it around. This is not the first time I've discussed this drill - nor will it be the last - since it is probably one of the most useful things I do at practice with the 4-6 year olds.

I was amazed at the enthusiasm the kids had for this drill in the heat. They think it's funny when you blow the whistle (when normal people would be yelling back at you!)... The benefits, of course, are many. First, you're able to yell "turnaround" in a game, and they all know what to do. It also reinforces stopping skills, and keeping the ball under control and close by for a quick change of direction.

After seeing this wonderful drill tonight at practice, I felt it deserved a mention. Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment