Sunday, May 10, 2009

Moms and sports

Happy Mother's Day.

I'd like to divert a little bit from the general theme of the blog and focus a few sentences on the importance of mothers as it relates to youth sports.  Although there are far fewer women coaches (in the leagues we've played in) compared to men, I know that the moms have sought out the right program and sport, gotten recommendations, done research, signed the kid up, ordered the shirt, emailed the coach, gotten the kid to practice, rounded up the family to make the game, and then probably organized the end-of-year party for the team.  Without all of that, the kids wouldn't be playing at all...

And after doing all of that, who has time to coach?  Some dad swoops in, makes the kids run around with a ball for a half-hour during practice and 45 minutes during a game and he gets all the credit!  From the coach's side, I know my wife (and mother of my kids) is heavily involved - not only doing all the things I mentioned, but also creating much of the communication our team parents see, and dealing with all of the questions and issues that arise.  I make an effort to be as good as I can be, but without her "reminding" me of my obligations, I'd be completely ineffective. 

I see a lot of moms providing a lot of support for their kids - and other kids - whether through coaching or any of the supporting activities.   It matters.  And through those efforts, our kids will grow up to be more active, and be better people.  It's not always about the coach, or the coaching...  Kids need moms.  Ha... that's either really profound or just stupid.

So - moms - thanks for doing all you do in supporting your kids and their sports.  It's not always easy, it's not always convenient, and sometimes there's not much glory.  But it all matters, and your kids are better for it.

1 comment:

  1. That is such a lovely entry Chad. On behalf of all the moms - thank you! I have just found your blog and will look forward to reading more of your entries. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete